Sittin 'n Knittin

musings on knitting, family and life in general

Monday, November 27, 2006

Not Very Hoofy Doofy

Returning from Thanksgiving in New Hamshire on Saturday afternoon, the plan was to make a quick stop at Webs. As we pulled into the parking lot, the lights shone brightly through the windows, at least a dozen people visible inside. The dashboard clock read 5:33pm. I jumped out of the car, raced up to the door...which had posted hours: Saturday until 5:30pm. sigh. I am not one of those people who will bolt in just after closing, even if I know exactly what I want and where it is. Three minutes before closing? No problem. In the words of Flyboy, "not very hoofy doofy" (hoofy doofy = Flyboy speak for great/something you like)

Now for the fiber portion of our program. Yes, my friends, 'tis true. I am the last person on the planet to knit Clapotis.

I've dropped 9 stitches so far, it is about 40 inches long and I've used about 1-1/4 skeins of 3 purchased, so I'm sure I'll have some leftover. I haven't decided how long to make it. It will ultimately find its home....somewhere else.
The yarn is Malabrigo and I am loving it. It feels so yummy between my fingers. As an added bonus, I'm getting used to the vinegary smell. That will wash out, right? Please, someone tell me the smell, THE SMELL will wash out!!!

In other fiber news, this arrived today:
560 yds of superwash Merino worsted weight goodness in the olive tones colorway, Lisa Souza style. Can I just say that this yarn feels so soft that I wish I were making socks for me. Alas, this yarn is destined to be socks for....someone else. But I do believe that there is enough that I will be able to make a pair for myself. After Christmas.

Current Christmas knitting count: 2 projects finished, 2 half finished, 4 in "of course I can pull it off even though I haven't cast on yet" denial land. We'll see how Hoofy Doofy it all turns out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors. And alas, I will be the last to knit clapotis. Never did find the right yarn for me to do it with. I might even, the horror of it, use the suggested yarn! The vinegar smell does come out of Malabrigo, but I've made a hat out of it and it pills really bad! Love you! Glad to see you had fun! PS... I got 3 naps in today :P

1:29 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Your Clap is so pretty - and no, you aren't the last person to knit one!! I'm working on one two with yarn I bought at Rhinebeck! :) (It's currently on hold until after Christmas though - wwwaaaa)

Thanks for your comment about the yarn weights - that's a great one!!! I totally didn't understand that either. I knit my first two pairs of socks in sock weight yarn, but using patterns written for worsted!! I have no idea how they ended up coming out the right size for my feet, but they did. Now I know better than to tempt fate like that again!!

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home